Pre-Abortion Screening Services in Harrisonburg, Virginia
By getting free pre-abortion screening and an ultrasound exam before an abortion, you learn more about the following:
CAN YOU TAKE THE ABORTION PILL?
Before taking the abortion pill, you will need to know exactly how far along you are and some other important medical information that is critical for you to be empowered to make an informed decision. We can help you learn more about your pregnancy and if the abortion pill is an option for you. We can provide ultrasound services to confirm your pregnancy, at no cost to you.
Women with any of the following should not take the abortion pill:4
- If you currently have an intrauterine device (IUD) in your uterus.
- If there is a concern that the pregnancy is outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy and can be life-threatening. Learn about the risk factors and signs of an ectopic pregnancy.5
- If your pregnancy is past 10 weeks. The FDA has only approved the abortion pill for up to 10 weeks from your LMP. Taking the abortion pill later in pregnancy is associated with increased risk of complications, such as an incomplete abortion or severe bleeding.6 When this happens, more abortion pills or surgery may be necessary to complete the procedure or stop the bleeding.7
- If you have certain medical problems including: bleeding disorders, severe liver or kidney disease, known cardiac disease, or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- If you take certain medications including blood thinners or steroids.
- If you are allergic to the medication/ingredients used in the abortion pill.
What abortion procedure is available to you?
The gestational age of the pregnancy determines the types of abortion procedures typically used. If you can’t have a medical abortion, or don’t prefer that method, a surgical procedure may be an option. Find out how far along in pregnancy you are through a free ultrasound to help determine your abortion procedure options.
All of our services are confidential and provided at no cost to you. We exist to provide accurate medical information and support to women and men facing an unplanned pregnancy.
Call 540-434-7528, or Text 540-830-1801 to ask a question or schedule an appointment.
1. Mayo Clinic. (2020, November 6). Fetal ultrasound. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/fetal-ultrasound/about/pac-20394149
2. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists. (2018, March). Practice Bulletin # 193: Tubal ectopic pregnancy. https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-bulletin/articles/2018/03/tubal-ectopic-pregnancy
- Mayo Clinic. (2022, March 12). Ectopic pregnancy – Symptoms and causes. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
3. Dugas C, Slane VH. Miscarriage. [Updated 2022 Jun 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532992/
4. Mayo Clinic. (2022, July 29). Medical abortion: Before Using. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/medical-abortion/about/pac-20394687
Physician’s Desk Reference. (2022). Korlym (mifepristone) Contraindications dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions… from PDR.net. https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Korlym-mifepristone-2928#11
Physician’s Desk Reference Guide. (2022). Cytotec (misoprostol) dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions… from PDR.net. https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Cytotec-misoprostol-1044.430#11
5. Mayo Clinic. (2022, March 12). Ectopic pregnancy – Symptoms and causes. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
6. Mentula MJ, Niinimäki M, Suhonen S, Hemminki E, Gissler M, Heikinheimo O. Immediate adverse events after second trimester medical termination of pregnancy: results of a nationwide registry study. Hum Reprod. 2011 Apr;26(4):927-32. doi: 10.1093/humrep/der016. Epub 2011 Feb 11. PMID: 21317416.
Speak with a medical professional today. Schedule a confidential appointment – for Pre-Abortion Screening in Harrisonburg Virginia – at no cost to you. Learn more about abortion and your pregnancy options. Our desire is for you to leave our office feeling empowered to make the best choice regarding your pregnancy. We are here to provide non-judgmental support.
Dr. Teresa Klansek, Medical Director
The content on this page has been reviewed and approved by our Medical Director.
Know your options. Be informed.
Call AVA Care of Harrisonburg today for an appointment.